FASHIONFACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional and non-professional make-up chat

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Theatrical makeup

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
divabeast

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyMon May 11, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a theater major at the University of Minnesota, and this semester I took a course called Makeup For the Actor. The final is this Wednesday and for it I decided to make myself up like Ursula from The Little Mermaid.

This is what I've drawn out so far:

Theatrical makeup DSC01707

I think most of it should be fairly easy, but those eyebrows that arch almost all the way up to the hairline will be the death of me. I have no idea what to use to get a smooth line.

I went to Nordstrom today to buy some false eyelashes, and I asked their advice on what to use; they suggested the MAC 210 precise eyeliner brush, and it looked like it would get the job done, so I bought it. Before buying that I tried using this brush that came with my makeup kit, here's a photo of both for comparison:

Theatrical makeup DSC01725
I played around with both brushes, found out what they were they good at, and wound up using the 210 on the curly, inner brow, and I drew the actual arch with the brush from my kit.

Here's a photo, I'm not sure if it looks all that great:

Theatrical makeup DSC01792

I'm wondering if this is just a case of "you'll get it with practice" or if there is actually a technique that makes drawing designs on your own forehead easier. For a lot of it I had to put my wrist right on front of one of my eyes so it was really hard to tell if my brush was lined up exactly with the line I'd already drawn. And, is there anything that I should add to my design for Ursula?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Marilyn

Marilyn

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:21 am

Oh, that looks so cool! You will have to show us when you have done the whole look!
Back to top Go down
DollyV

DollyV

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyTue May 12, 2009 6:49 am

Well seeing as the cartoonists for The Little Mermaid based their design on the glorious queen of gutter trash, Divine, I'd start there for tips. It might be easier to use real makeup as a point of reference rather than a cartoon.

Pink Flamingos (inspiration for Ursula)
Theatrical makeup Luvdivine

Divine was so amazing, I miss her fat ass. Love

In regards to eyebrows, whenever me and my friend do drag we tend to sketch out the brow first in a light shadow or even a pencil, just because it's easier to adjust, then draw on the liquid or cream liner. Indeed I personally like using wet eyeshadow for things like that as it doesn't dry as quickly and tends to have a thicker consistency than some liquid liners.

My final two tips on getting neat edges is to use a template. Frankly, I use tape to get a really neat edge, especially when applying super sharp blusher. Also use cotton buds, q tips you know. If you make a mistake, moisten one end and roll it gently over the error and the other end to gently dry it of. Conceal and try again.

Good stuff though, I look forward to hearing more about this, I love Ursula.
Back to top Go down
divabeast

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Marilyn wrote:
Oh, that looks so cool! You will have to show us when you have done the whole look!

There will be photos, rest assured. My friends and I have taken a crapload of photos of each other every week in that class; the Final will be no exception!

DollyV wrote:
Well seeing as the cartoonists for The Little Mermaid based their design on the glorious queen of gutter trash, Divine, I'd start there for tips. It might be easier to use real makeup as a point of reference rather than a cartoon.

Pink Flamingos (inspiration for Ursula)
Theatrical makeup Luvdivine

Divine was so amazing, I miss her fat ass. Love

In regards to eyebrows, whenever me and my friend do drag we tend to sketch out the brow first in a light shadow or even a pencil, just because it's easier to adjust, then draw on the liquid or cream liner. Indeed I personally like using wet eyeshadow for things like that as it doesn't dry as quickly and tends to have a thicker consistency than some liquid liners.

My final two tips on getting neat edges is to use a template. Frankly, I use tape to get a really neat edge, especially when applying super sharp blusher. Also use cotton buds, q tips you know. If you make a mistake, moisten one end and roll it gently over the error and the other end to gently dry it of. Conceal and try again.

Good stuff though, I look forward to hearing more about this, I love Ursula.

Holy Crap, they're practically twins! Shocked

I knew that Ursula was based off of her but I'd never actually seen a photo of Divine before.

I'll definitely try tracing out the brows with a super fine eyebrow pencil before applying the makeup and then rubbing out any smudges with a Q-tip, thanks!
Back to top Go down
DollyV

DollyV

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Good luck!

Here is Divine when she was releasing music. Hah!

Theatrical makeup Divinedogs
Back to top Go down
divabeast

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyWed May 13, 2009 6:58 pm

Here are the results!

It's probably not that great in comparison to what a professional could do, and despite the fact that I bear an uncanny resemblance to Carol Channing, I'm still happy with it.

Theatrical makeup DSC01802

Halfway through it I decided to ditch the curlicue idea. And this was my first time ever putting on falsies, so please ignore the fact that the lashes are going in different directions. Embarassed

Theatrical makeup DSC01806

Theatrical makeup DSC01823

Theatrical makeup DSC01826

And here's a friend who did Kurt Cobain.

Theatrical makeup DSC01794

Theatrical makeup DSC01795

Extra points if you get the bare foot reference.

Theatrical makeup DSC01796

Trauma makeup is always fun.
Back to top Go down
Janett
Janett

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyThu May 14, 2009 3:01 am

Hah! The "Ursula hair" is spot on! I would, however, like to see the makeup a bit more defined and sharp as the edges seem to be very smudgy, especially around the brows and lips.. ends up looking a but like the Joker from the Dark Knight. Smile
Back to top Go down
Marilyn

Marilyn

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyThu May 14, 2009 4:21 am

I agree with Janett, but i do love it Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
divabeast

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyThu May 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Janett wrote:
Hah! The "Ursula hair" is spot on! I would, however, like to see the makeup a bit more defined and sharp as the edges seem to be very smudgy, especially around the brows and lips.. ends up looking a but like the Joker from the Dark Knight. Smile

The hair was the easy part, my hair just stands on end when I take off my wig cap, and brushing in the color sets it.

Those lines looked a lot neater in person, I swear! The brows especially were a lot messier before I followed DollyV's advice and tried smoothing them out with a Q-tip. I think I messed the lips up because I made my outline in a color I was planning to use, then the instructor came up with an even redder shade for me to use, so I just painted that color over the outline. Embarassed

Marilyn wrote:
I agree with Janett, but i do love it Very Happy!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
DollyV

DollyV

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyFri May 15, 2009 4:00 am

Although it's a little messy and in my opinion needs more eyeliner (i say that about everything), the eyebrow area is ridiculously neat and even. Anyone drawing high arched drag style eyebrows will know what I mean when I say ARGH regarding evenness. So I think you succeeded. However you should definitely continue to practice, and if you post pictures people can advise you.
Back to top Go down
Pixiwoo Nic

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyFri May 15, 2009 11:48 am

These all look fantastic xxxx
Back to top Go down
divabeast

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyFri May 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Pixiwoo Nic wrote:
These all look fantastic xxxx

Thank you so much!

DollyV wrote:
Although it's a little messy and in my opinion needs more eyeliner (i say that about everything), the eyebrow area is ridiculously neat and even. Anyone drawing high arched drag style eyebrows will know what I mean when I say ARGH regarding evenness. So I think you succeeded. However you should definitely continue to practice, and if you post pictures people can advise you.

Oh god, I forgot about eyeliner. I should've used some to make my eyes look closer together.

What you suggested really helped though, I didn't have to draw a sharp line in this class until last week when I was Medusa. She needed scales and scowl lines. The results were ..not good:

Theatrical makeup DSC01676

The only other thing close to this is drawing wrinkles, and they're so much easier. You follow the natural lines you already have, and then you smudge them at the end so the lines don't even have to be neat:

Theatrical makeup DSC01616

That's one thing I regret about this class, it doesn't go very far in depth. It's only meant to give us a very, very, VERY basic proficiency at doing our own makeup and helping others. So next time I'm in a show, and have to do my own makeup, expect another thread!

And as for drawing high, arched, drag-style eyebrows...I smell a pixiwoo tutorial. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DollyV

DollyV

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup EmptyFri May 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Gah, that class looks like so much fun! I'd be soaping my brows and applying panstick every hour of every day if I thought it would be productive in some way...sad but true.

You should keep practicing. I love these looks so much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Theatrical makeup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatrical makeup   Theatrical makeup Empty

Back to top Go down

Theatrical makeup
Page 1 of 1