FASHIONFACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional and non-professional make-up chat

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cleaning Brushes...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
maschatv

maschatv

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Cleaning Brushes... Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 5:00 am

Hi there Smile

I have a few questions in regard to brushes, i.e. on how and when to clean them. They tend to be rather expensive and not being a professional MUA I don't have that many of them either, so I would like to keep them in the best possible shape.

I have brush cleaner from a theater makeup store, and also from MAC, but I'm not quite certain how to best use the cleaner, especially when cleaning more than one brush.

What I do know is that one's not supposed to use water to clean them (or at least use the cleaner and nothing afterwards), and they are not supposed to be dried standing up, but that's about as far as it goes.

1. How much of the cleaner do I use, can I add water to thin the cleaner?

2. Do I clean all of the brushes in the same cleaning liquid? It tends to smudge badly after the first brush, usually ... so would it be ok to clean the brush unter runnging water first, then use the cleaner?

3. How about putting on eyeshadow etc. with "just" 3 brushes.... is it enough to wipe the brushes clean when changing eyeshadow color? how can I avoid unwanted blending?

4. Is there any difference between cleaning up eyeshadow/foundation/blush brushes?

Any advice or ideas would be highly appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
maschatv

maschatv

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:42 am

OK, this is a blatant push, nevertheless...

Anybody? Don't you clean your brushes? Wave
Back to top Go down
lesbelleschoses

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 6:29 pm

I simply wash them with plain soap (savon de Marseille as we call it here), works better than anthing else....and then I let them dry LYING on a clean towel (if you let them dry in a glass or something, the water will get into the brush and damage the glu).

I clean them at least once a week...
Back to top Go down
Megan

Megan

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 pm

I clean my personal, everyday brushes once a week with a mild facial cleanser and water. Then I roll them up in a towel for about 5 minutes to wick some of the moisture away. Following that, I fold a small towel and roll one end to form a downward-facing slope and place the brushes on it, bristles facing down.

I clean my brushes that I use on clients after each application, using the same method as described above.
Back to top Go down
http://prettymakeup.net
Odette

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm

I personally use different types of cleaners:
-baby shampoo for deep cleaning or even washing up liquid for taklon brushes
-MAC's cleanser for deep cleaning, this I put in a spray bottle so as not to waste it
-Lise Watier 's quick drying sanitizing spray cleaner that does not require you to rinse the brush in water
Back to top Go down
killingspree

killingspree

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:37 am

I wash after every application just because i honestly can't imagine not washing them after ive used them once, esp foundation brushes.

I use abit of baby shampoo and swirl it through the bristles and then wash.
takes around a minute.

then i stand then in a glass jar next to the window upright, to dry.

It doesnt take me long in the mornings, and usually the brushes are dry again the next morning.

Otherwise i got this advice from an MA at MAC for my 187 brush so it doesnt shed. use some rubbing alcohol on the bristles instead of washing it because aparentally water damages the glued bristles by trickling down.

HTH
Back to top Go down
http://bow-chicka-wah-wow.blogspot.com/
maschatv

maschatv

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:10 am

Wow, thank you all for your replys... I just got back from a little vacation and will respond in detail in the next few days, I've made some research myself and might be able to share some of those "researched" opinions. Smile Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Brushes...   Cleaning Brushes... Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Brushes...
Page 1 of 1