Share | 

HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DollyV

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi everybody. Just wondered if you had any tips regarding makeup and hot weather.

Just recently in the sudden heat we've been getting in the UK I seem to be prone to sweaty eyelids (ew gross) which will often make my eyeshadows fade and bleed into eachother.

Aside from touching my makeup every couple of hours, does anyone have any hints or tips on preventing this from happening?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maschatv

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:33 am

Not sure and haven't tried it myself, but:

- a makeup fixing spray (from a theater makeup store, I think there's one by Kryolan)
or, as the low budget version:
- hairspray

But I'd be quite interested myself to see what the pros have to say about this Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 am

yeah sometimes I use hairspray actually. It's good for setting the whole face, but I still get eye issues...

I was wondering if maybe powdering the area helps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lizzie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:06 am

wow, lucky you!! Here in new zealand its cold and rainy Smile
Have you tried an eyeshadow base??
Lots of brands have one available, or a M.A.C paintpot (usually painterly paint pot)
works just as well. The cream texture sets the powder on the lid.
Hope this helps flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 am

Yeah i use a concealer on my eye as a base but find that the greasiness mixed with sweat makes it slide a bit. Although actually are eyeshadow bases any different to concealer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am

I would love to take this question one step further and ask for views on what makeup is good for the beach?! (I am just getting too old these days to be totally barefaced). What products do you find stay put and preferably without looking caked on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 am

Dolly V, I meant to say that whilst I don't know the answer to powder eyeshadows slipping around, I have got a really lovely "ombre d'eau" by Chanel and it really stays put all day. Quite expensive but the finish is gorgeous and it has great staying power, even in this heat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:28 am

i've been reading upon this and as such found loads of advice for beach makeup. Apparently try to steer clear of heavy foundation, go with a light mineral loose powder and anything with SPF in it. Also, clear mascara, and maybe avoid lipgloss assupposedly it attracts cancerous rays but that sounds...ridiculous.

People have suggested Urban Decay's Primer Potion to be THE best. But it's SO expensive like horribly so. Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:29 am

i've been reading upon this and as such found loads of advice for beach makeup. Apparently try to steer clear of heavy foundation, go with a light mineral loose powder and anything with SPF in it. Also, clear mascara, and maybe avoid lipgloss assupposedly it attracts cancerous rays but that sounds...ridiculous.

People have suggested Urban Decay's Primer Potion to be THE best. But it's SO expensive like horribly so. Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am

That was supposed to read as avoid heavy foundation, but wear products with SPF.OBVIOUSLY avoiding SPF products in the sun is completelyridiculous. It's this heat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
negritosmom

Registration date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi DollyV, it is unfortunate that Urban Decay Primer Potion is so expensive in the UK. It really IS THE BEST THING. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina and summer is really hot and humid here, not to mention my oily skin... well, let me tell you I can wear make up from 8 AM until 11 PM and the eyeshadows remain flawless ALL DAY. It is really recommendable. Too faced shadow insurance seems to be another option, but I havenĀ“t tried it yet. MAC primer for eyelids is a no no (everything creases in a few minutes).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maschatv

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:55 pm

negritosmom wrote:
MAC primer for eyelids is a no no (everything creases in a few minutes).

Yeah, I've learned that the hard way... Sad Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Yeah, but that is such minimal makeup (which is what I've done in the past) so its really not going to make much difference and its probably not going to last very long.....I want something to even out the skin tone, add a bit of colour to the cheeks, tidy up the eyebrows etc and survive swims in the sea and the inevitable perspiration from 90 degrees (I hope!) (and don't everybody tell me off for this, I have olive skin and wear sunscreen and I'm not very lined "yet".....!!!) Am I asking for too much?! Is it even possible?

On the eyeshadow creasing front, I've tried Laura Mercia's base which is ok, Benefit's one was good but dried up rather quickly, and both cost loads also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Halz

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-03

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:57 pm

What would people suggest would be the best foundation to use in this insane heat? Although it's finally cooling down, thank god.

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear, which is fantastic because of the coverage and SPF10, but I feel it's too heavy for this kind of weather. Estee Lauder is all I've ever used so I have no idea what would be best!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks for the advice negritosmom, it seems like Urban Decay is the only way and i'll have to suck it up and just buy it. I guess though buying good quality products that are important to the preparation means cheaper products work better, like all the pallettes for example.

As for makeup for Jayne, I think you'll have to resign yourself to large shades and a sun hat for the beach and go barefaced. No makeup could last a dip in the sea and blistering heat Razz

I opened my bag up in mid afternoon heat this weekend, and low and behold my eyebrow pencil had MELTED.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:46 am

Dolly V, I think you are probably right, I should invest in fab accessories and cover up instead, my skin will probably thank me for it in the long run! On the other hand, I was wondering when I was going to have my "eureka moment" for making my fortune, maybe beach proof cosmetics is it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DollyV

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:41 am

QUICK copyright Beach Proof makeup!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mags

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 pm

i would definately buy some! i live on a sandy island although i normally have to wait until summer for just a glimmer of sun Rain Cloud
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WeAreGlitter

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:46 am

As a cheaper alternative to UD primer potion i would recommend Barbara Daly at tesco eye base- i find it works really well and its only around a fiver...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:49 am

Dolly V, what about adding a little bit of translucent powder (on an eyeshadow that matches your skin tone) over the top of the concealer that you use as a based? That usually stops foundation sliding off so might work. Or, what about a tiny, tiny bit of toner to take out the oil on your eyelids before applying your eyeshadow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megan

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Although it's most likely a no-no, I do it anyways. I've used No.7 face primer all over my face, eyelids included, all summer. I'm in the US hot, sticky south, and my makeup would not survive without it. In fact, it's so good that I no longer have to touch up my makeup during the day - it stays on that well. I'd give that a try before investing in anything too expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prettymakeup.net
Odette

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

For Jayne,
Try MAC's or Make Up For Ever's face and body foundations. They are very light weight and offer a light coverage with the added bonus of being waterproof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:10 am

Brilliant, thanks Odette. I've also just "invested" in a Nars multiple stick in cannes - its a lovely colour for lips and cheeks and as it is silicon based, it is supposed to be water resistant (I've just tried it in the shower and it stayed on without streaks!) But my god, it was bloody expensive!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP   

Back to top Go down

HEATWAVE vs MAKEUP
Page 1 of 1