FASHIONFACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional and non-professional make-up chat

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

i didn't know where to put this...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Vintagewitch

Vintagewitch

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-03-11

i didn't know where to put this... Empty
PostSubject: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 6:49 am

i was wondering, now i know i may sound kind of stupid, but do you have to go through cosmotology school to become a professional makeup artist?

thanks for reading
~Jesse~
Back to top Go down
Janett
Janett

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 am

This should probably go in the Professional Chat forum (I'll move that for you, don't worry).

As for your question - It isn't stupid and no, you don't have to go to cosmetology school to be a professional makeup artist. Most of today's top makeup artists did not go to beauty school at all. They either trained under another professional, or are self-taught. The problem with beauty schools is that you run the risk of learning from professors that may not be currently working in the industry and teach dated techniques. Not to mention, "cosmetology" schools usually focus more on hair than makeup.

If I were you, I would save those thousands of dollars and pay to assist a professional working makeup artist instead so that you can learn the ropes on a one-to-one basis. This will allow you to absorb all the information much better and faster since more of the artist's attention is on you and not a whole group and you can ask as many questions as necessary. If you work well with this artist and develop a good relationship, they may recommend you for future jobs and help you get your foot into the industry as well.

If you want to learn more about how to start out, I suggest checking out Alex Collin's blog - http://whattheprosdo.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vintagewitch

Vintagewitch

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 4:46 pm

thanks for clairifing. i'm thinking about being a makeup artist once i get out of school.

Thanks
~Jesse~
Back to top Go down
Pixiwoo Sam
Admin
Pixiwoo Sam

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Many artists are self taught these days but it is worth doing a course of some type so that you are eligible for insurance.
In the UK it is not required by law to do a course or to have insurance but they are both a very good idea in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://fashionface.forumotion.com
Vintagewitch

Vintagewitch

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 5:38 pm

thanks!
Back to top Go down
whiplashes

whiplashes

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: What I've discovered.   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 am

Some agencies may want you to have taken some sort of formal education. And when I worked in the film/tv industry, the unions were pretty set on MUA's having some kind of training. I say, even if you take one class, rather than a program, you could be find to venture into something like the film world.

Otherwise, the advice given to you to assist a more senior MUA is a fab idea.

http://whiplashes.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
http://whiplashes.blogspot.com
BeaBeaute

BeaBeaute

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-13

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:35 am

Vintage, as a former resident of Nebraska I know that you are not going to find any schools that are worth your money there. I would suggest that you go out of state. If that is not possible then Nebraska offers a license for makeup professionals, testing is only required not school. Next move is to get behind a good counter, and start saving and building your kit, then get out of there! Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Vintagewitch

Vintagewitch

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 am

thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i didn't know where to put this...   i didn't know where to put this... Empty

Back to top Go down

i didn't know where to put this...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FASHIONFACE :: Industry :: Professional chat-
Jump to: