FASHIONFACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional and non-professional make-up chat

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"

Go down 
+3
killingspree
Megan
shoegazer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
shoegazer

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyWed May 06, 2009 8:32 am

Hello,

I just read a feature in the Guardian's G2 by a woman who has never worn make up but decided to try it because it is the 50th year of Avon. Anyway, I found the whole feature really annoyed me, especially this comment by the writer:

"One asked recently, as I waited to discuss women and equal pay on air: "Do you find it puts you at a disadvantage, not wearing any slap?"

Well, no. I became a lesbian aged 15 and therefore have never experienced the "need" to dress for boys or men. When I met a group of feminists soon afterwards, and realised that none of them wore makeup, I instinctively understood why."

I find this an extremely frustrating and archaic view of makeup (and indeed women)! Anyone else agree? As MUAs do you come across this kind of statement a lot? Thought this might be a good topic for discussion!

Here is the full feature.

Smile

Last edited by shoegazer on Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos!)
Back to top Go down
Megan

Megan

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyWed May 06, 2009 11:56 am

I think you're right on. It's an out-dated view of makeup and of women. Most women my age, straight or gay, love to wear makeup because they love wearing it. It's fun to apply. Fun to play with different looks. Makeup is no longer about snagging a man. It's about having fun with your look.

ETA - that lipstick is all wrong! Wink

Last edited by Megan on Thu May 07, 2009 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://prettymakeup.net
killingspree

killingspree

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyWed May 06, 2009 11:22 pm

"Makeup artists" and the "ordinary everyday girls/women: use makeup in a completely different context.

I think we are ignorning the fact girls/women still use makeup to make themselves feel better about their appearance and boost their self confidence. Makeup treats the symptoms but not the cause.
Back to top Go down
http://bow-chicka-wah-wow.blogspot.com/
Domrocks

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyWed May 13, 2009 11:37 am

I felt that she looked better without makeup, BUT because the look used on her didn't suit her.

I get so annoyed when people assume that because I love make up, that I'm stupid. Errr, how about no!
Back to top Go down
Astrid

Astrid

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyWed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm

I think there are two sides to every coin but it does sound like this is just written from one point of view.
Women wear make up to attract men - fact.

Ok so some people do use make up to feel better about themselves as killingspree said. Some will use it to attract the fellas. Some just love the sheer art and fun of it.

The same could be said of fashion as well. Some women use clothes for confidence, catching the eye of a bloke and some just love clothes!

It also sounds like it stating that lesbians never feel the 'need' to dress for girls or women? Question I know gay women who love the 'slap'!

Ax
Back to top Go down
killingspree

killingspree

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyFri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

Great! i missed the button that linked to the article.

Can't express how annoyed I am with this article though.
GRRR. Evil or Very Mad

I will reiterate my basic point or what i meant to say is - wearing makeup cannot fix or help a psychological problem, a person has with their self confidence appearance wise.

Though i do feel a large proportion of women have underlying issues that makeup covers up about their appearance, its very unfair and kind of thoughtless of me.

Generally hate the message she is conveying in this article.
Especially about men, feminism and lesbians.

Just because its not makeup for the majority of men instead their hair, clothing and jewelery doesnt mean they dont go to an effort to look attractive.

I also think the roles of gender are becoming less defined and more heterosexual men are wearing makeup these days. I know of at least 2 personally.
Back to top Go down
http://bow-chicka-wah-wow.blogspot.com/
Michaela

Michaela

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyFri May 15, 2009 11:57 am

I agree with all you guys...

Make up is about confidence, not necessarily to attract men.....and hey, I've always quite fancied Adam Ant and David Bowie in there 80's hey day and they're plastered in make up lol.

To me, i think she's doing the same thing as she's protesting about, but oppersite (if that makes sense) she's trying to look like a man to attract women.

tongue
Back to top Go down
Rachel

Rachel

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" EmptyFri May 15, 2009 5:40 pm

I can't believe that her justification for not wearing makeup is because she's gay! If you don't want to wear makeup, then don't wear it. But don't go around saying that if you wear makeup it's because you want men to look at you. I wear makeup because it's a way to express your personality. Makeup is an art, not a short dress!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"   Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up" Empty

Back to top Go down

Annoying makeup article: The Guardian G2 - "My First Brush With Make-Up"
Page 1 of 1